What is an SA302 Form & SA302 Example?

Get in touch for an initial fee free, no-obligation chat with an adviser about the most suitable mortgage option for you.

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate some Buy to Let Mortgages.

Your property may be repossessed if you do not keep up with your mortgage repayments.

Get in touch

1 Step 1
Please tick how you would like us to contact you.

The internet is not a secure medium and the privacy of your data cannot be guaranteed. 

FormCraft - WordPress form builder

An SA302 form is an important document that proves that you have paid your taxes in full. It can be used to claim tax reliefs or tax refunds. The form is usually issued by HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) to self-employed individuals and small business owners.

This document provides an overview of one’s tax calculation, containing all taxable income streams and liability. Each SA302 form covers the current year (or those needed) financial records for proof- relevance to loans requested in previous years may vary on a case by case basis depending upon what type(s) or period you are looking at, though it should always be updated annually.

If you’re self-employed but also receive income from other sources, it’s essential to know that an SA302 form will be required for any potential lender. The documentation ensures they have accurate information about your total annual earnings so far this year and how those funds can contribute towards a mortgage payment.

There are strict regulations within the UK that lenders must follow, including proof of income requirements for mortgage applicants. However, SA302 forms can be used as an alternative method to provide acceptable documentation and avoid delays in processing time on your application.

What Is Included In An SA302 Form

The SA302 form is used to report a taxpayer’s taxable income and the amount of tax that has been paid for a particular tax year. This document is important because it can be used to verify the accuracy of a taxpayer’s Self Assessment return. The SA302 form includes information about:


      • the total income that was earned during the tax year

      • the amount of tax that was paid on this income

      • any allowable expenses that were claimed

      • the capital gains or losses that were made during the year

      • any pension contributions that were made

      • any other relevant information about the taxpayer’s finances.

    It is vital to keep a copy of your SA302 form on file in case you are ever required to provide proof of your income or tax payments. This document can be used to verify the accuracy of your Self Assessment return and ensure that you have not underpaid or overpaid on any taxes due to HMRC. You may also need this form if you are applying for a mortgage, loan, financial aid (i.e., student loans) etc.

    What Does An SA302 Look Like – SA302 Example

    An SA302 is a two-page form that contains the following information:


        • Your name and address

        • The name and address of your employer

        • The dates you worked for your employer

        • Your gross earnings for the year

        • Taxable income for the year

        • National Insurance contributions (NICs) are paid by you and your employer during the year.

        • Any other payments made to or received from your employer during the year.

      The first page of the form will show your personal details, while the second page will list all of your earnings and deductions. The form will be signed by both you and your employer.

      An SA302 is usually issued to individuals who are self-employed or employed in a small business. If you work for a large company, your employer may not be required to provide this form. It is typically sent out at the end of each tax year and must be submitted by 31st January in order for it to count towards your tax return. You will need an SA302 if you want HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to calculate how much income tax should be paid on any profits made during the previous financial year.

      How To Get A SA302

      HMRC no longer issues SA302 forms automatically, which means that a request will need to be submitted in order for you to get the documents. However, there are several ways to obtain an SA302 form:


          • If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to get your SA302 form, download it from the HMRC website! This will be done by navigating over there with all of those fancy online tools we know so well. Once logged in, click on “more self-assessment details” then choose ‘get my calculation’. You can now take advantage of up to 4 years worth (at most) if you have been working as an independent contractor or business owner during this time period which means you should have submitted annual tax assessments anyway.

          • You can request a copy by calling them on the telephone, and it will be sent out immediately via the post. So you’ll have them in your inbox within two weeks.

          • You can request a copy of your account via an accountant. If you have one, they will produce the summary document that’s used for annual earnings and self-assessment tax returns on behalf of their client; certification from them is necessary before paperwork goes out looking for lenders.

          • If you have not yet filed your tax return, you can order a copy of your SA302 from the HMRC by calling them or writing to them. You should provide your National Insurance number, full name and address in the letter or call.

          • If you want a copy of someone else’s SA302 form, you can order it from HMRC by providing their National Insurance Number along with your own details.

        It is vital that you provide the necessary documents with your mortgage application. The timing of this request will be linked directly back to when consumers have their annual self-assessment submitted, so it’s important they get all relevant information in advance if possible.

        To ensure a smooth application process, it’s essential to check how many years’ worth of documents is necessary when applying for any mortgage. As lender requirements vary depending on their underwriting standards and preferences-it may be wise not only to consider what type or amount can fit within these parameters but also if there will ever need anything else in addition. In addition, to avoid any delays during the processing of your mortgage application, it’s important to make sure that all necessary documents are dated within 18 months and up to four years.

        You may need to provide additional information such as assigned business accounts in order for your loan application be considered. It’s also wise to check with each potential lender about their specific requirements before making an appointment at any bank or finance company, because there could well be differences between what you think is due on taxes versus how they’re calculated based on tax year overviews- make sure these match up.

        You can always appeal if there are any discrepancies in the data. highlight these and get your accountant or HMRC on board with it.

        Contact BOLT Mortgages For Help With Your Mortgage Application

        We know that life can be daunting as a self-employed person seeking mortgage or remortgage, but we have the expertise to guide you through the process. We have the knowledge to help you with any financial needs, whether it is a mortgage or just general advice. As an expert in this field we are able tailor our service for individuals who work from home and need specific tailored solutions that take into account their unique circumstances when applying for loans.

        Knowing that this is a big decision, it’s recommended to get financial advice before making any decisions. The terms of each option should be fully understood and the repayments can easily fit into your lifestyle – all so you know what kind or package will work best for both now AND in later years.

        When you take out a mortgage to buy property, the lender will want security in case of default. The consequences could be serious: their loan might be repossessed and this means that they get everything back including any money spent on renovations or improvements.

        Our mortgage advisors in Essex will be happy to help you with any questions about mortgage applications and proving your income. Bolt mortgages is here for you, please don’t hesitate in contacting us!